When the first settlers arrived here in 1850, they could never have guessed that their tiny settlement would one day be home to over 100,000 souls, scores of factories, and the gateway to the California Delta with some of the most productive agricultural lands in the world. In earlier days, the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers were the main routes into the state s interior, as the swampy delta land had yet to be tamed. Antioch and nearby Pittsburg served as major depots for supplies to the Sierra gold fields, stockpiling lumber, produce, hay, dry goods, medicine, and fuel from the Stewartville, Empire, and Judsonville coal mines. Named in 1851 after the biblical city in Syria, this town served for many years as the Bay Area s easternmost outpost and provided its inhabitants with a bounty both man-made and natural."
Author: Antioch Historical Society Publisher: Arcadia Publishing (SC) Published: 11/23/2005 Pages: 128 Binding Type: Paperback Weight: 0.65lbs Size: 9.50h x 6.80w x 0.30d ISBN: 9780738530291
About the Author Antioch Historical Society: - The Antioch Historical Society presents this amazing collection of vintage images detailing its early days of agriculture and deepwater shipping and working its way to present times. Along the way, readers will see the now-disappearing paper industry at its peak, salmon fishing fleets, theaters, community and church activities, distilleries, and a bustling waterfront and railroad depot that live on in today s reemerging historic waterfront district.