On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Traditional and modern methods of food production and their influences on food quality
- The great diversity of methods by which people in different places and times have prepared the same ingredients
- Tips for selecting the best ingredients and preparing them successfully
- The particular substances that give foods their flavors, and that give us pleasure
- Our evolving knowledge of the health benefits and risks of foods On Food and Cooking is an invaluable and monumental compendium of basic information about ingredients, cooking methods, and the pleasures of eating. It will delight and fascinate anyone who has ever cooked, savored, or wondered about food.
Author: Harold McGee
Publisher: Scribner Book Company
Binding Type: Hardcover
Size: 9.30h x 6.70w x 1.80d
Award: Gourmand World Cookbook Awards (USA Only) - Winner
Award: James Beard Foundation Book Awards - Winner
Award: IACP Crystal Whisk Award - Winner
About the Author
McGee, Harold: - Harold McGee is a world-renowned authority on the science of food and cooking. He studied science and literature at Caltech and Yale, and has written two prize-winning books, On Food and Cooking and The Curious Cook, as well as many articles and reviews. He has been named food writer of the year by Bon Appétit magazine and to the Time 100, an annual list of the world's most influential people. He lives in San Francisco.